Friday, April 20, 2012

Change

I spend all this energy reflecting about what motivates teachers.  I am unwavering in stating that shaming teachers does not work.  Offering to give them money does not work.  Bringing in some external accountability like a high stakes test does not work.  These are temporary measures that I don't believe bring lasting change.  To stick and carrots, I say nay.

And yet-
I am doing the same thing with my students.  Why would I think that my students should be so different? I coax them, I shame them.  I threaten them with calls home, I applaud them with a trip to the treasure chest.  It works though.  Temporarily.  Is that all I care about?  A quick fix?  No.  Neither, I think, is that what the policy makers want either.  But they're only in office for a few years.  And I only have my students for 50 minutes.  How then can we possibly bring about real change?  Real and permanent good.


I think we have to start by believing that it's possible.  Knowing that it will be hard.  Then doing it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment