Monday, June 11, 2012

The end of my 2nd year

I haven't had much time to really reflect on this, my second year of teaching.  I started training for summer school yesterday.  I want to take the time to remember some things.

This was a challenging year.  4 preps: world geography, math research, language arts, and reading.  In a lot of ways it felt like my first year of teaching because I had taken a year off between my first and second year.  Also, I had to adjust coming from a small alternative school, where there was much less bureaucracy.

I found that my intensive classes made me a better teacher than my honors classes.  They could tell when I was unprepared, and would take that opportunity.  I had to be on my game.

Beginning graduate school was a definite plus.  It meant I had no time to stop and breathe in life.  I didn't get to see my friends and family as much as I would have liked, but it helped shape me.  It gave me a bigger picture of education, a solid anchor.  An inquiring mind.  What are we teaching?  Why are we teaching this?  Who are we teaching what to whom?  Who decides?

I am so thankful for all of the teachers who showed me how to do things- and how not to do things.  I had a wonderful mentor teacher.  How wonderful to be next door to a master teacher.  To step inside her classroom and observe was like stepping up to the table to a delicious meal, when I was very hungry.

Teaching is a spiritual battle. 

I wish I had had more fun with my students.  I was so focused on getting them to "do the work", I missed a lot of opportunities for joy and play. 

I remember (one of) my SAL's at the beginning of the year reminding teachers to "stick to the curriculum".  He described it as, "You're moving into a house, the first thing you need to do is check the plumbing.  You shouldn't be painting the walls."  And I remember thinking, "Painting the walls is important."



Ashes to ashes
Dust to dust


No comments:

Post a Comment