Friday, April 19, 2013

R.I.P. Marvin

I was crestfallen when I returned from my faculty meeting Monday afternoon to find that our beloved class pet was no longer swimming about his aquarium. I was surprised to find myself tearing up a bit as I relayed the news to our custodian that Marvin had died.


Marvin the Peacock Mantis Shrimp was the best class pet we could ever hope for. He was our inspiration for similes, metaphors, and any number of grammar lessons. He was the reason we would gather around the tank in the morning. He gave us an excuse to walk down to the river to catch crabs for his nourishment. He was an amazing cross curricular personification of science and art.


If you haven't heard of these amazing creatures, I would highly recommend the following post from the Oatmeal. http://theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp


Today, each class held a brief service for Marvin in our Memorial Garden. Students read their eulogies and planted tiny poppy seeds over his grave. They spoke of his bright rainbow colors and amazing punching power, his grace and wonder. Actually, I wonder if Marvin was actually a "he". We should have checked before we put him in the ground. Oh well.












1 comment:

  1. Ode to a shrimp

    Our wonderment and curiosity increased
    Via our beloved crab punching beast

    As a class pet? First prize.
    Brandishing trinocular eyes

    Marvin, the shrimp from far east.

    ReplyDelete